Basic Puppy Tips and Starter List
Here are a few helpful tips for you and your puppy when you get your pet home. First and most importantly your puppy is not fully vaccinated until they are 14-16 weeks of age and receive their 3rd booster, do not take your pet into public areas! You will be exposing them to harmful diseases that could result in severe sickness or death and Golden Crest Retrievers & Doodles will not be liable for any sickness due to improper care after receiving your puppy.
Feeding and Potty Training Puppy Tips
First thing in the morning we recommend getting your puppy up around 6-8 am for a potty break. Then, another potty break within 30-45 minutes after the puppy’s breakfast. Your puppy will then be ready for playtime followed by nap time. This schedule will be frequent throughout the day. As soon as you see your puppy wakes up from their nap take the puppy outside immediately for a potty break.
If you crate them for any reason during the day a potty break should be the first thing they do when the puppy is let out of the crate. The same schedule is to be followed in the evening with dinner between 4-7 pm. Followed by a potty break 30-45 minutes after. Bedtime between 9-11 with a potty break right before bed. Depending on the age of your puppy at adoption, your puppy might need a potty time during the night, usually between 2-3 am. If you are crating your puppy at night the puppy will usually cry to you to be let out.
If you follow these general rules, you will find that potty training will come much easier!
11 Must Have Items for Puppy
- Food and water dish. (We recommend Purina Pro Plan Performance Chicken & Rice 30/20)
- Crate for sleeping (we recommended adult size and use a divider when your puppy is small.)
- Soft bed for the crate to sleep.
- Puppy toys, rope chew toys, and squeaky toys are usually their favorite, and toys for the teething period.
- Soft brush and comb.
- Puppy shampoo (we suggest oatmeal base for puppies.)
- Small collar and leash.
- Puppy pads.
- Cleaning spray for urine and accidents.
- Bitter apply spray for detouring your puppy from chewing on furniture or other items.
- Travel crate.
Optional Puppy Supplies [depending on preference and home situation]
- Puppy gate to gate off certain areas.
- Puppy playpen.
- Puppy toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Angel wipes for tear stains.
- Puppy treats (only to be given after 12 weeks of age.)
- Puppy jacket or sweater depending on your weather (suggested if temps are below freezing.)
- Toenail clippers if you are planning on doing that yourself.
- Snuggle puppy with a heartbeat for puppies that are received before 10 weeks of age.
- Puppy blanket.
- Puppy stroller.
- Portable puppy fence for outside if you do not have a fence around your yard area.
- Flea and tick shampoo for summer months.
· Want to be Placed on Our Waitlist? ·
WHAT YOU WILL RECIEVE
- Licensed Vet Health Check
- Big Bag of Premium Dog Food
- 2-yr. Genetic Health Guarantee
- 30 Days of Pet Insurance
- Life-Time Breeder Support
- Puppy ID Microchipped
- Puppy’s First Collar
- Peace of Mind – Parents DNA Tested
- Video Updates of Growing Puppy
- Up To Date On Vaccinations
- Regularly Dewormed
- Access to All Medical Records Via Breeder Cloud